Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to get Tomb Raider 1 for PC for free, and set it up!

5 posters

Go down

How to get Tomb Raider 1 for PC for free, and set it up! Empty How to get Tomb Raider 1 for PC for free, and set it up!

Post by Tiddlyfisher Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:00 pm

Okay, most people don't have a copy of TR1 for PC, and even if they do, they have a huge problem getting it to work.

So with this guide, you will get TR1, as well as the expansion, and the know-how to set it up.

First off, you'll need a torrenting program.

I recommend uTorrent.

Next, go to this link: http://thepiratebay.se/torrent/7335594/Tomb_Raider_1_2_3_[GOG]
Click on "Get This Torrent"
I know it's a big download, but it's really worth it.

When it finishes, launch it and install ONLY TR1. (The other 2 are too glitchy and buggy without a patch that you can't get unless you buy it)

When that's done, wait a second, you're not ready to play yet.

Download the TR1 & UB setup v1.6 from http://www.tombraiderhub.com/faq/tr1_adv.html. It will install to C:\tombraider. Don't try to run anything, it won't work without the original cd.
Instead, if C:\gog is where you installed the gog version of TR1, copy tombeng.bin and tombeng.cue from C:\tombraider to C:\gog\Tomb Raider 1. Delete game.dat from c:\gog\Tomb Raider 1 and rename tombeng.cue to game.dat.
Then copy tomb3dfx.exe, tombub.exe as well as the DATA folder from C:\tombraider to C:\gog\Tomb Raider 1\TOMBRAID. From the latter, delete tomb.exe and rename either tomb3dfx.exe or tombub.exe to tomb.exe, depending on whether you want to play the original with music, or UB.
Now you can simply run TR1 from the shortcut created by the gog installer. If you want to save space, you can delete all of the mp3s and game.gog from the TR1 folder as they will no longer be used. Of course you can also uninstall the version you donwloaded from Tomb Raider Hub above.

And now you're ready to play! Very Happy

Post any issues you have, I'll help you with them.

Last edited by Tiddlyfisher on Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tiddlyfisher
Tiddlyfisher

Back to top Go down

How to get Tomb Raider 1 for PC for free, and set it up! Empty Re: How to get Tomb Raider 1 for PC for free, and set it up!

Post by CuteLilDragon Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:38 pm

Very nice guide Tiddly! Smile
Ah yes, the infamous pain with gettingg Tomb Raider 1 to work. Thankfully I have it working properly on my Windows 7 computer, the easiest way is playing it on your Ps1, 2, or 3. But that may be less convenient for some people! Smile
CuteLilDragon
CuteLilDragon
Admin

https://diamondwonders.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

How to get Tomb Raider 1 for PC for free, and set it up! Empty Re: How to get Tomb Raider 1 for PC for free, and set it up!

Post by Tiddlyfisher Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:41 pm

Thanks!
And I prefer playing games on the PC, it's just easier for me Very Happy
Tiddlyfisher
Tiddlyfisher

Back to top Go down

Post by CuteLilDragon Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:32 pm

Yes, PC versions are much better quality, easier to control, easier to take screenshots / videos, and of course, modding. Very Happy
CuteLilDragon
CuteLilDragon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tiddlyfisher Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:47 pm

I'm not sure if you can mod TR1 though....
I don't think many have tried.
Tiddlyfisher
Tiddlyfisher

Back to top Go down

Post by sackboy1234disco Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:50 am

You can mod type in youtube tomb raider 1 hacks and you see people hacking into tomb raider 1
sackboy1234disco
sackboy1234disco

Back to top Go down

Post by Tiddlyfisher Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:21 pm

Oh, I've never seen TR1 mods. I'll look into them.
Tiddlyfisher
Tiddlyfisher

Back to top Go down

Post by sackboy1234disco Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:08 pm

The only ones i'v seen is of croft manor where theres wolves there, bats and winston oh and her house is flooded Mario
sackboy1234disco
sackboy1234disco

Back to top Go down

Post by CuteLilDragon Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:49 pm

Tomb Raider 1 can be much harder to hack, as there is no Multipatch that I'm aware of, the files are editable with TRItem & Fexmerger however, the only way I'm aware of modding the game is burning a completely new version of the disc with the mods you want.
CuteLilDragon
CuteLilDragon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Chi Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:05 pm

Tiddlyfisher wrote:I'm not sure if you can mod TR1 though....
I don't think many have tried.
I can easily mod TR1 with many of the TR tools available.

The only difference is that the data file is not called .TR1 but is instead called .PHD, but you can mod it just the same as TR2 or TR3 games.

The only problem is videoing it, because it has to be in DOSBOX or GLIDOS as it is a DOS game that has to be in windows, so you can video it in Fraps, which ends up slowing the game down to less than 20FPS or even as low as 15FPS, You really need 25FPS to make the eye think it is in real time speed. (FPS = frames per second).

Here is one of my TR1 mods, I do not make many of these as its a bit slow because of the above reasons. The mods in this level are massive, and most strikingly I have changed the dynosaurs into standing skating dudes (using skateboard kid A.I.), and there are other visually interesting mods as well.... Cheers Chi Very Happy

Technical note: I had to avoid triggering and getting more than six baddies with Lara into one scene, as when you reach that amount of baddies, the visuals of them start to break up (heads and arms start dissapearing) as the program cannot cope with more than six. This 'six in a room' rule tends to be with TR1, TR2 and TR3. I was told there are ways around this in TR4, by a custom level designer in TRF forums, but I stick with six or less baddies per area.

The Great Chi
The Great Chi

Back to top Go down

Post by LanceTheRaider Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:05 am

WOW I NEEDED this! thanks!!! Very Happy
LanceTheRaider
LanceTheRaider

https://www.youtube.com/lancethegaymer twitter.com/lancetheraider

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down